Exporting services or products abroad is a brilliant transfer — you’re spreading danger, decreasing your dependence on the native market, and boosting what you are promoting’s development prospects at dwelling and overseas.
On prime of that, the Federal Authorities’s Export Market Improvement Grant (EMDG) offers Australian exporters with a refund on their abroad advertising and marketing bills.
To seek out out what you may declare, methods to maximise your return, and the way companies are adapting to the challenges of COVID-19, SmartCompany sat down for a Q&A with Export Options marketing consultant Gemma Hansen.
What’s the Export Market Improvement Grant (EMDG), and the way does it work?
The EMDG is a money rebate program to encourage extra Australian companies to export.
The motivation is that eligible companies will obtain a money rebate based mostly on their degree of abroad advertising and marketing spend. This system is non-competitive — if you’re eligible and have the proper paperwork you’ll obtain a grant.
The pool of funds is at present $157.9 million each year, and most industries and companies are eligible. The rebate is roughly 50% of eligible advertising and marketing bills with the utmost grant being $150,000 (topic to obtainable funding).
What bills can companies declare?
Bills you might have paid throughout eight classes, to the extent they have been for promotion to abroad purchasers, consumers or searching for distributors or related.
The eight classes of bills are:
- Promoting and promotion (Google, Fb, Instagram, Amazon, influencers, and many others.)
- Abroad representatives
- Advertising and marketing consultants/businesses
- Free samples
- Abroad journey
- Commerce festivals
- Abroad consumers
- IP & emblems
What are the advantages of exporting merchandise and/or companies abroad for SMEs?
Taking your merchandise worldwide offers you a a lot wider audience than simply focusing domestically, as Australia has a reasonably small inhabitants. A worldwide buyer base may additionally end in native present purchasers seeing you in a brand new mild.
Competing internationally can stimulate enhancements in your merchandise, companies and operations. It offers companies the encouragement to critically consider their providing. Lots of companies say that they’d not have been pushed to enhance with out the problem of exporting.
Given the border shutdowns and chaos brought on by COVID-19, what’s the local weather like on the market for Australian exporters?
It’s a scary and chaotic time for Australian exporters. The uncertainty round worldwide journey and the shortcoming to satisfy along with your consumers nose to nose is an sudden barrier.
Enterprise homeowners are resilient although. They’re re-evaluating how they promote their merchandise — taking a look at new avenues comparable to on-line advertising and marketing and/or participating in-country representatives to maintain continuity available in the market and search new prospects.
Authorities businesses and trade our bodies are offering extra alternatives for companies to evolve than ever earlier than. Taking a look at what they’ll provide, together with the help from the Federal Authorities via EMDG, offers exporters the boldness to make modifications that can get them via this time.
What new digital advertising and marketing tendencies have you ever seen emerge because of the COVID-19 outbreak?
Companies are speaking via digital platforms and adapting to a brand new surroundings.
On-line advertising and marketing platforms comparable to purchaser matching and digital commerce festivals that attain your audience are price investigating. Keys to success embrace making certain these platforms actually have engaged consumers and that they’ll allow you to current your services or products in a transparent and highly effective approach.
Digital advertising and marketing platforms comparable to Google Adverts, Fb, Instagram, Amazon Adverts, LinkedIn and Snapchat are being embraced by many firms to achieve prospects and drive enquiry.
Using social media influencers has additionally allowed manufacturers to remain in contact with prospects and attain new audiences shortly and successfully.
Many firms are utilizing podcasts and YouTube channels as a way to offer prospects with the feel and appear of their merchandise.
How can companies which have turned to digital techniques since COVID-19 use the EMDG?
That is the place EMDG could be of big help with a money refund of 50% of selling bills as much as $150,000:
- This contains paid digital advertising and marketing on platforms like Fb, Instagram, Amazon, Snapchat, TikTok, Google, YouTube, LinkedIn, and many others.
- Should you’ve been utilizing a digital advertising and marketing company or marketing consultant to assist along with your advertising and marketing actions — comparable to promoting, search engine optimisation, market analysis, and many others. — you may declare their charges (as much as $50,000).
- For companies utilizing social media influencers, the price of sending free samples to influencers together with their charges are eligible for EMDG.
- Different digital advertising and marketing actions focused abroad, comparable to webinars, digital commerce reveals, paid electronic mail/SMS campaigns and extra will also be claimed.
What are some tricks to maximise your EMDG export grant?
- Get recommendation early so you already know what’s eligible.
- EMDG is guidelines based mostly, so perceive the principles and the finer factors round apportionment. The scheme has advanced over 42 years so there’s a number of element.
- Hold good data.
- With social media and internet marketing, maintain monitor of the geographic space you’re focusing on — this typically leads to a better share declare.
- Participating an abroad consultant (who may very well be an present workforce member or director) is dear, however EMDG will in impact subsidise half the prices, with a declare every year as much as $200,000 of bills.
- There are extra ideas and FAQs on the Export Options web site — or give us a name.
Are there any future modifications to the EMDG program?
Sure, on September 10th the Federal Authorities introduced modifications to EMDG that can apply for bills after 1 July 2021.
EMDG will likely be reoriented to an upfront grant settlement which can give eligible exporters funding certainty and money progressively to fund their advertising and marketing.
Full particulars of the brand new EMDG program are usually not but obtainable, however our workforce is in shut contact with the Minister’s workplace and Austrade.
We’ll present updates on our web site as quickly as they turn into recognized.
There aren’t any modifications to the EMDG program for 2019-20 being lodged now, and 2020-21 functions — the present program stays in place.
NOW READ: A information to all of the grants obtainable to your small enterprise organised by trade
You’ll be able to assist us (and assist your self)
Small and medium companies and startups have by no means wanted credible, unbiased journalism and knowledge greater than now.
That’s our job at SmartCompany: to maintain you knowledgeable with the information, interviews and evaluation it is advisable handle your approach via this unprecedented disaster.
Now, there’s a approach you may assist us maintain doing this: by turning into a SmartCompany supporter.
Even a small contribution will assist us to maintain doing the journalism that retains Australia’s entrepreneurs knowledgeable.